Search This Blog

01 February 2013

The House Cleaning Story

As promised, here is the story of how we came to "hire" our own kids to clean our house.

When I went back to work in 2004 my husband and I agreed that house cleaning was not going to be on our list of things to do each evening.  I realize that not everyone has this option-to hire someone to clean their house, but it was something my husband and I decided to deliberately add to our household budget.  Since 2004 we've had an absolutely wonderful woman cleaning every two weeks.  The money spent was well worth the time earned.

However...

As my girls aged we realized they were more and more often neglecting their "in between" chores and taking less and less care of their own bedrooms.  Plus, we were spending more on house cleaning than we had in the past.  This spring we made the courageous decision to let our cleaning lady go and transfer cleaning responsibilities to our family.  This was not easy!  I knew some of it would fall back to me and I knew it would mean some things wouldn't be done in the same thorough manner.  So I stalled, and stalled some more.

I did spend time in the summer teaching my girls how to perform all the typical cleaning tasks: dusting, sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, toilet cleaning, mirrors, everything.  We divided up the chores and settled on payment.  But, I stalled some more...

In October, I finally stopped at Kelly's house to talk things over with her.  I carefully explained it had nothing to do with her, or her work.  Instead, I explained the sense of entitlement that was beginning to invade my girls' thinking.  When my girls are in college no one is going to clean their dorm rooms for them.  When they are 23 and starting off in the world, no one is going to clean their apartment, or clean out their car!  (And they are most certainly not going to live at home for an extended period of time in their 20's while Mom continues to provide all manner of services for free.)  In short, taking over this task is one more way that my girls are learning about the real world.  (I sincerely believe that Dr. Montessori would be applauding my decision to teach my girls in this way.)

Kelly cleaned for the last time the last week of October.  Since then my girls have been responsible for weekly house cleaning.  Our first big decision was THE day.  We decided that the girls would clean as soon as they arrived home on Friday.  There's no homework pressure, no yearbook committee meetings, and no dance classes to interfere.  We next decided that the TV would remain off until the cleaning tasks were completed. (Nothing like TV to incentivize some reluctant cleaning ladies.)  Finally, we decided on payment--for one it's cash, for the other it's a monthly iTunes account reload.  I do not pay them what I paid Kelly, rather an amount that is appropriate for their ages and their level of experience.

The experience thus far has not been without it's problems.  First, we've had to deal with what consequences exist if a job is not completed properly.  The most logical consequence, and the one we use, is that if a job is not completed to my, or my husband's, satisfaction it is redone. (Remember, they have had a thorough lesson on how to clean every room.)  There is no arguing. (If arguing is attempted I use two strategies--broken record and scheduling a time to complain.)  The second challenge has been working around being out of town or ill on a Friday.  We simply clean on the next possible day.

We've had one serious situation, too.  During an argument over who got the toilet bowl cleaner next, it was spilled...all over the front of my dishwasher.  Rather than being cleaned up immediately, the spill was hastily wiped up, but not thoroughly.  There are now drip stains where the toilet bowl cleaner ate into the front of the stainless steel dishwasher.  For the time being, these are left there as a visual reminder.  (I haven't decided if I want a new front or a new dishwasher.  It hasn't been operating well for a few months and a recent repair visit pointed out some damage that was done to the motor, this makes it really loud!)  Either way, each girl will contribute a month's cleaning allowance when the decision is made.

All in all, the experience has been positive.  Reflecting on the task, I realize that for 18 years I helped my mom clean the house whether she was, or was not, working.  I didn't get an allowance either.  I hope the overall task allows my girls to reflect on how they do, or do not, contribute to the household well-being.  I also hope it instills in them a level of appreciate for the sometimes daunting task of keeping a clean, well-organized home.  Finally, I hope they remember to appreciate all the people that do contribute to clean homes, work places, schools, shopping centers, and more!

Update 2-3-13:  After reading this I realize that it sounds as if Mr. Perrien doesn't have any chores.  Not true, he does!  :)

No comments: