Search This Blog

11 September 2008

Student Writing!

I would like to share two wonderful writing samples from recent classroom work! Students were asked to take a situation and paint a snapshot in time of what was happening, to be very descriptive and tell the story in a complete and interesting way. In the story, the main character has gum stuck in his (or her) hair and his bangs are sticking straight up!

The first is from Genevieve:

"Aw-w man!" thought Jeremy as he walked into his room. "I'm never going to be able to get this out." Jeremy got out his little hand mirror and sighed. "I never should have gotten into that contest with Nick, to see who could blow the bigger bubble," he thought.
He thought hopelessly about what to do with his hair. Then all of a sudden it clicked, wash it. He walked into the bathroom, put his head over the sink and turned on the warm water. He got the bottle of shampoo, squirted some on his head, and rubbed. When he was done he looked in the mirror and his hair was pink!

The second is from Emeline:

"Hide me! I look terrible, I'll have to get it cut off!" My friend sobbed when she looked in the mirror. "I know, but you shouldn't feel so bad, cause it'll come out soon," I told her. I don't think it made her feel any better. "the gum is orangy-pink and my hair is changing color!" My friend yelled at me. The gum was orangy-pink. It was a very bright orangy-pink, and her hair was turning pink, too. It also was sticky and felt gross. It was stinky, it smelled like tropical twist. I told her not to feel it!

The students have been hard at work at snapshot writing; both of these student writers painted a vivid picture in my mind!

No comments: