Search This Blog

14 December 2012

Hug Your Children Tonight

Hug Your Children Tonight.

My heart is heavy for the families of all the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.  My thoughts and prayers are with the family members, friends, and community members of Newtown, Connecticut.

Today's news is especially difficult to process when you consider that you may be asked questions by your own children.  The news is extremely difficult to discuss even among adults; to consider what to say when your own children ask is daunting.

I encourage you to read the following online articles (originally shared in an email from the superintendent of my daughters' schools) in case your own children want to talk or have questions.

http://www.boston.com/dailydose/2012/12/14/how-talk-kids-about-the-connecticut-school-shooting/GsG2TFfNSH1IohWneiXioN/story.html

http://www.pbs.org/parents/rogers/special/scarynews-thoughts.html

We already have a procedure in place at Waukazoo for in-school emergencies, as well as "lock-in" security measures.  We have practiced these already this year at Waukazoo.  If the children ask me questions next week I will focus my replies around the safety and security measures in place at our school.

Please be sure to let me know if you have questions.

Hugs to your children-

Mrs. Perrien

No comments: