Search This Blog

25 July 2012

Spotz in Trouble

Sometimes you never know what's just around the corner.  This week has been one of those times.  Spotz is a five (or six) year old Leopard Gecko, one who's delighted students for years!

Our family recently returned from a vacation up north to the Upper Peninsula and Mackinac Island.  When we returned and settled again at home I noticed that Spotz was a little bit more subdued than what I'm used to at school.  (Thanks to my friend, Kathleen, for confirming my suspicions!)  After watching him for a few days I realized that he wasn't eating either.  Uh oh.

I Googled "reptile veterinarian" and discovered The Cascade Hospital for Animals! (They're not really new as my awesome cousin, Heather, worked there a few years ago but I had no idea that they were experts in exotic pets.) I set up an appointment for Spotz and off we went.  Here's what happened:

Arriving at the hospital
Spotz is receiving expert care from Dr. Tracey Ritzman!
The patient was quite cooperative.

Spotz was diagnosed with Stomatitis, Bilateral ocular changes (a probable  bacterial infection of the eye), a plugged cloaca, and mild dehydration.  This seems like a lot!  What is being done about it?

The medicines--eye ointment and an oral antibiotic.

Preparing to administer the antibiotic.  This can be tricky!
Spotz' treatment includes a warm soak for 10 minutes a day to help him rehydrate.
Our cat finds this very entertaining!
Overall, this experience has been quite interesting (and expensive)!  I am in the process of reconfiguring his tank set-up to add a new and different heat source.  Apparently, "senior" geckos are less capable of handling the extreme temperature changes that are often a part of switching off the (daytime) Infrared heat light.  I'm adding a ceramic bulb heat source for more evenly distributed heat.

Today I even hand fed Spotz two waxworms!  Although crickets are the mainstay of his diet, they are also hard to see and hunt when the eye is bothered.  Wax worms are yummy and fatty--both are needed right now!

I hope to have good news to report in a few days regarding our Spotz.  If you are so inclined, please say a quick prayer for our favorite classroom pet!

-Mrs. Perrien

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Perrien what would spotz do without you.