Search This Blog

27 February 2012

The Hunger Games

I've had a couple parents email me the following question, "Should my 4th (or 5th) grader read The Hunger Games?"

Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of Suzanne Collins and the Hunger Games trilogy.  I devoured the books in the same way that I devoured the Harry Potter series, Twilight, and other popular culture fiction.  I've read the books several times.

But would I allow my own 4th grader to read the book?  No way.

The Hunger Games is a tough book to read.  Yes, it's called Young Adult Fiction.  But 4th graders aren't young adults.  In these books reader's encounter loss, alcoholism, death, cold-blooded murder, and betrayal.  Kids kill kids.  Kids betray and murder kids younger and older.  The descriptions are fairly graphic and at times disturbing.  The themes and symbolism in these books, they are absolutely compelling.  But I am a seasoned reader who has the ability to grasp the framework of the story, and to consider the issues Collins is forcing readers to ponder.  I don't believe 4th graders (even MY 4th graders!) are ready to make these connections.  While a reader may or may not be "advanced," that doesn't mean he or she is mature enough to appreciate the many facets of The Hunger Games.

My recommendation?  Give your reader The Gregor the Overlander series.  These books explore some of the same themes Collins writes in her Hunger Games trilogy, and I believe they are more easily understood by 4th graders.  Suzanne Collins writes these books as well.  If your son or daughter is begging you to let him or her read The Hunger Games, read it first.  Then, be thoughtful and ask yourself, "Am I really ready to discuss with my child the themes presented in these books?"  "Am I ready to explain how the characters are used as pawns, how the government became a barbaric totalitarian leadership?  Am I ready to discuss with my child humanity's future in this way?  How elements of the book are relevant to their own lives?"  The last two lines come from Collins herself (from the movie companion book).

I am ready to have this conversation with my 6th grader.  But my 9-year-old?  No way.  We'll get there.  I am prepared for her to love this book and to love Suzanne Collins.  But when she's older and more mature.

And please, don't take your child to see the movie.  When she is finally ready to read the book let her, I would recommend it for a middle schooler.  Then watch the movie together.  Use it to have a wonderful, honest, and sometimes tough conversation with your child about humanity and humanity's choices.

Mrs. Perrien

No comments: