Search This Blog

15 January 2012

Classroom Updates

We have a lot going on and a lot to share.  First, students are completing their first semester benchmark assessments this coming week.  We are looking at fluency, reading comprehension, and writing.  The purpose behind these assessments is for the student to demonstrate growth in these areas.  I am confident our class will do well on their ELA assessments.

We are also looking at growth in math.  Students recently completed a piloted assessment in the delta math program, a computerized assessment in math.  Most did well, although many of the 4th graders struggled to adapt to the timed nature of the assessment.  However, it was good practice for them as timed assessments (in all areas) are a part of their educational future!  4th graders struggled a little bit with their math facts; please continue to monitor a few minutes each day of math fact practice in multiplication and (especially) division.  5th graders could stand to spend a few minutes each day practicing the kill of reducing fractions.  Students can make their own flash cards or a Google search of "reducing fractions worksheets" will provide valuable practice.

BUTTONS

I have recently discovered how to add "blog buttons."  I can't believe it took me so long to figure this out!  These will appear to the right on the blog and will probably fluctuate as some will be moved to my reading workshop blog.  I have found a few parenting blogs and organizational blogs for parents that I'll be adding to this site.

TECHNOLOGY MEETING

I am planning to add a technology night for parents, some time in February.  I had a few parents express interest, enough that I think it would be fun and helpful to meet.  I have to check dates with my accountant husband before getting it on the books.

PRESIDENTS

Students have completed the in-class research of their president. (Most students..)  If not at home already, they will be bringing these forms home to begin their project.  Prezi's, PowerPoints, and poster presentations were the definite winners when it came to picking projects.  If anyone would like to use the tri-fold boards to display their poster work, please send me an email.  I would prefer these to stay at school, but will have one available for assembly when the time is right!  Projects are due on January 31st!

BRACES

I will be out of the classroom on Wednesday this week.  Evelyn is getting her braces!  (Yikes!)  Mr. Edwards will once again be filling in for me, so I don't expect the kids to miss a step of their work plan time!

Have a wonderful week, let's enjoy the beautiful snow!  (Yes, I am a winter girl!)

Mrs. Perrien

No comments: